Welcome to Mostly Musing - My Travel Blog

This blog is about our travels to Baja California, Mexico in our Classic 1976 GMC Motorhome. We have traveled there since 2005. I hope any readers enjoy the blog and I appreciate any comments.

This years travels to Baja begin from our Victoria driveway the end of October 23rd, 2013.










Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Into Mexico Wednesday December 29, 2010

We like to walk across the border at Tecate and get our visas stamped, then we are able to just cross over the next day and keep on driving. Parking on the Tecate side of the border is very difficult, narrow streets riddled with potholes and cars parked everywhere. In previous years we have had to park many blocks away, walk back to the border, and felt a bit nervous about leaving our motor home. So, now we park on the American side in a parking lot right next to the border and walk over, get our visas stamped and walk back. This year we had as usual, a very friendly immigration officer on the Mexican side. Once stamped, we walked across the street and had to go through American customs. The two American female officers were very official and sternly insisted that we pass through separately. The interview went like this:

Officer: Where are you coming from?

Me: Just across the street….we…

Officer: Where are you going?

Me: Los Barriles….we…

Officer: Do you live there?

Me: No…. we are just going there for three months vacation

Officer: What are you bringing with you?

Me: Our motor home (now I’m really lost, why does she care?)

Officer: So what are you bringing with you?

Me: Just our personal things that we need…

Officer: What do you have on you right now?

Me: Nothing. Just my visa

She waved us through – I’m not sure who was more confused…. Lorne thinks it was me….

The next morning we cross into Tecate - I was in the lead and got the green light - which means drive on no questions asked.  Lorne got the green light but the female officer waved him over anyway.  She came in, looked around, wanted to see the registration papers and then sent him on.  I had to drive ahead and was wondering what had happened to him.  Thank goodness for our little walkie talkies.  "Whats happening Lorne, where are you?   Where are you Catherine?  I can't see you?  Don't worry I'm coming.  Catherine?  Where are you?  Catherine, can you hear me?  Don't worry, I'm coming - there you are Lorne, I see you, I'm right behind you.  Catherine where are you?  Lorne, I said, I'm right behind you...."  and so it goes. 

We made it to Ensenada today – We took the toll road 2d toward Tijuana (not to be confused with 2D which goes somewhere else entirely). We cut off well before TJ, hit the coast, and then went south on the toll road to Ensenada. The toll road was a very good road compared to Mexicali 3, the one we usually take! But - pouring rain so there was lots of water on the road. Driving the car was not at all scary, this road is just fine for me.

There continues to be major road construction on Mexicali 3 south of Tecate to Ensenada. This road passes through the Guadalupe Valley, a beautiful grape–growing region complete with vineyards. It is a tourist area for Baja that must be really suffering – this is the second year that the road has been basically out of commission. Well, when it is finished it promises to be a great route. We stopped at Estero Beach resort in Ensenada as we were concerned that the road to the beach we were planning on staying at is likely full of water by now, and we sure don’t want to get stuck.

I'm going to have to be very organized if I am going to be able to get anything on my blog since I'm driving the whole way too.

No comments: