Welcome to Mostly Musing - My Travel Blog

This blog is about our travels to Baja California, Mexico in our Classic 1976 GMC Motorhome. We have traveled there since 2005. I hope any readers enjoy the blog and I appreciate any comments.

This years travels to Baja begin from our Victoria driveway the end of October 23rd, 2013.










Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bahia de Los Angeles









We did spend 3 days – I think - in Bahia de Los Angeles, we camped in town at Tony’s place – he also has the motel across the street. There were no other people in this park, however it was nice to stay in town. While Dawne and I were playing, Lorne cycled out to the RV parks north of town and there were very few people camped there. As Lorne said he saw more dead dogs on Mex 1 than motor homes on this trip. Yikes!

With Dawne with us we played lots of music every day. Following a leisurely lunch under the palapa at the motel she stayed at we played the rest of the afternoon and then again in the evening. Very fun. Lorne and I had a few nice paddles in the morning and in the late afternoon. We paddled with a school of dolphins and a couple of sealions popped up to check us out too. There were no whale sharks. They arrive in the late summer and hang around the bay. They are huge. They are also very peaceful, one can swim with them – cool – maybe someday we will be here when they are. I'd like that.

One afternoon while we were playing music in the motor home Dawne’s dog Kita was waiting patiently outside. Close to dusk someone let off a few firecrackers (leftovers from New Years) Kita took off, dragging her leash along with her! We searched for her till dinner, stopped for a very quick dinner then searched again. I saw some kids and ran over to ask them if they had seen a little dog - in my very best Spanish of course. Dog in Spanish is perro. Well one of the boys earnestly said that he had indeed seen a perro and it was at the tienda (store) around the corner. (At least that’s what I thought he said). Off we went at a run as I was so concerned about finding her before she ran further. We got in the store and I saw no perro. I asked the teens in the store if they had seen a chico perro and they looked confused. The young boy told them what I was looking for and one of the teens went to the freezer and lifted the lid – well I was quite agast! To my horror I thought they had put the dog in the freezer and had visions of a poor little dead Kita to return to Dawne! The teen held up a bag of ice (hielo) and said hielo? Now to me when I say perro it does not sound at all like hielo, however when I said perro and the boy responded with hielo? I truly thought he said perro and he truly thought I said hielo. Good grief! And here I thought I was getting much better with my Spanish.

Well, just as I was returning to the beach area someone called from across the street at the motel where Dawne was staying that Kita was over there. Some one had brought her back. She is the only dog in town with a halter style leash and I guess Dawne had been seen walking her so she was returned! Excellent! What a relief! We had a good – if somewhat morbid – laugh about the hielo perro!

Driving into town we saw two cars in the ditch turned over on their very crushed roofs. There were people standing around and the police were there so no need for us to stop. As we drove along two tow trucks passed us. We were speculating how this accident happened – both cars on their roofs, and both on the same side of the road right next to each other. As chance would have it Dawne checked into the same motel as the people who were involved in the accident. One guy was driving and towing the other vehicle which was loaded with his friends' belongings and their dog (a great dane). His friends were following along with their four other dogs. Thankfully, no one was hurt, and both cars still ran! They had the cars towed to a mechanic in town who was going to bash the roofs up so they could be driven again. However, the dog was missing. They went back every day to look for it but didn’t find it. So sad. We saw them leaving to drive on to Cabo with these two cars – no windows and a very rough job on the body work! They were wearing helmets with face guards! Just like the Baja 1000!

No comments: