Welcome to Mostly Musing - My Travel Blog

This blog is about our travels to Baja California, Mexico in our Classic 1976 GMC Motorhome. We have traveled there since 2005. I hope any readers enjoy the blog and I appreciate any comments.

This years travels to Baja begin from our Victoria driveway the end of October 23rd, 2013.










Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mexico Medicine - Some good some bad


We were very impressed with the quality of the medical treatment here. Lorne was needed in Hamilton for his father and at the same time had a kidney stone. He had some real concerns about travelling before passing this stone so wanted to consult with a doctor. He went in to see the Los Barriles clinic doctor who was able to see him the same day. This doctor spoke excellent English, spent a great deal of time with him, prescribed medications for pain, which we could pick up right had the clinic. I saw the doctor too and was also very pleased with the treatment. Our total bill for exams and medications for both of us came to less than $100.


On our trip north I became very sick and was in a lot of pain, so we stopped into a hospital emergency we happened on in Loreto. The Emergency room was empty, and the English speaking doctor saw me within minutes. He prescribed a stronger antibiotic but said he couldn’t fill it at the hospital because it was a poor people’s hospital. He charged me $40 for the consult. We had to go to the pharmacy down town. I think if we were poor people we would have received our medication for free.

No comments: